What is fat transfer?
Also known as Autologous Fat Transplantation, Micro-Lipoinjection or more commonly referred, as fat grafting or fat injection. Over time skin tends to lose some of its elasticity on areas of the face and body. During this time volume can be lost. This procedure, transfers fat from areas such as thighs, buttocks and abdomen and is injected into areas lacking volume, such as breasts, buttocks and face. This tailored procedure produces long-lasting, natural results.
Who is an ideal candidate?
- desire a more permanent correction over the use of temporary fillers
- wish to improve body contouring and facial rejuvenation
- want to fill in breast irregularities, enhance breast implants, or increase breast volume
Things to Consider
- Fat is from your own body (also known as, autologous fat) which reduces the chance of an allergic reaction to a foreign substance
- Results are long-lasting and SAFE!
- Is a non-invasive method for achieving facial rejuvenation
- More time consuming than other methods of rejuvenation or augmentations
- Patients hoping to achieve a significant increase of volume, may require multiple sessions to achieve desired breast or buttock size
These are the top Pros & Cons when considering Fat Transfer. To see if this procedure is right for you, please contact our double board certified, plastic surgeon, Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC.
Procedures in Detail
Facial Fat Transfer
Facial creases such as laugh lines, smile lines, forehead wrinkles and crow’s feet can be filled from harvested fat from the abdomen, thighs or other such areas. Acne scars and sunken areas of the face, lips and cheeks can also be filled in.
Injectable areas where micro-fat transfer can be administered. Forehead, Cheeks, Lips and Chin
If you wish for a modestly larger breast size, you are the ideal candidate. For individuals that desire a significant increase in breast size, Fat Transfer may not be for you.
Injectable areas where fat transfer can be administered. Upper breast, Lower breast, Aerola.
Breast Implants + Fat Transfer
This procedure can be very useful if you have residual breast irregularities (visible implant or rippling) following a breast augmentation with implants. These irregularities can be filled in with your own fat to produce a smoother contour for a natural optimized shape.
Injectable area where fat transfer can enhance an implant.
For a more curvaceous buttock without the use of an implant, fat is harvested from the surrounding area and is used to sculpt and shape the buttock.
Ideal fat harvesting sites to not only sculpt but are great sources of fat cells for injection.
Breast Reconstruction + Fat Transfer
Fat Transfer has commonly been used for years following lumpectomy for breast cancer and is also an option for a total breast reconstruction following a mastectomy. However, to achieve sufficient breast volume a multi–stage process is required, typically at least two to four sequential fat transfer procedures.